This morning I discovered a horrible smell in the pantry. Turned out one of the can of tuna was leaking and there were little worms crawling all over the place, yuck. Sorry to gross you out, but hey I had to clean it up. There is also a rat in the attic we are trying to get rid of (I saw it while I was hanging clothes up there). The fight with the ants is a losing battle I'm afraid. As soon as a small piece of food lands on the floor they cover it. Oh, well it's all just part of Africa I suppose. I'm taking most of it in stride (though the worms was a bit much). I feel like I can really feel all the prayers being lifted up on our behalf. I haven't felt frustrated or discouraged by not being involved since I wrote that entry. Thank you all. God has really given me joy in the little things. We have also been a bit busier also which has helped.
One of the missionaries had a easter egg coloring and cookie making party Wed. for the kids and yesterday Jason stayed here with the kids so I could go to the market. It was so nice to get out and see a bit of the town. We literally visited every store because each one had something different. They said they've never gotten the trip down to under 2 hours. We also saw a few drunk and mentally handicapped people wandering around. Johanna expressed the difficulties these people face. There is no psychiatry or medication for these people so they are just cast out of the village. They live on the streets and just wander around. She said they are often very belligerent, even threatening her and the kids. It makes you wander how much of it is a spiritual battle.
Today we made friends with one of the grounds keepers. He is often here when we are playing outside. He knows a bit of English and with my bit of French we can talk some. Everyone enjoys saying hello to the kids and love it when Charlie responds with bonjour. Nathan is always a hit and he is beginning to let people pick him up at least.
Tonight we are going out to eat at the Barack Obama cafe, there are 2 in this tiny little town. The rest of the weekend is pretty packed. We are going to the river with a family in the morning, there's a wedding in the afternoon, church on Sunday, then a Easter party in the evening. It will be nice for me to be busy, though Jason is probably wishing for a little more relaxation :).
We have been talking and praying more about what missions is going to look like for us long term. We would love to have a passion for a specific place, but God has yet to reveal that to us. It is good though to be here and start thinking more seriously about it all. Ok, sorry for all the rambling :).
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment