Friday, April 3, 2009

A day in the life

Well, we made it through our 1st day. We will probably post a little less often now that we're settled. Jason's 1st day went well. 3 of the 5 residents are gone right now, so it turned out to be a good time for Jason to be here because they can use the extra hands. He has been paired with the intern, so Jason helps him with his surgical skills and he helps Jason with his French. Jason was his "attending" during a hernia yesterday and a skin graft. Last night he was called in for a ectopic pregnancy. The surgeons here handle everything surgical, c-sections, orthopedics, basically anything that goes to the OR. Jason brought a few supplies that he has been able to teach the residents to use and they are teaching him how to do things without supplies. Jason is excited to learn skills he might never be exposed to in the US.
The past 2 nights missionaries have hosted us for dinner. The 1st night was a pediatrician. She is an American who grew up here, so she's lived here most of her life. Last night we ate at David Thompson's. He is one of the surgeons who started PAACS. They have been here for at least 25 years. Both his and and his wife Becky's parents were missionaries. We have met so many missionaries here who were missionary kids themselves. We have heard Dr Thompson speak and read his biography so it was really great to be able to spend some time with him and his wife.
My day is falling into a bit of a routine now. In the morning we have breakfast, clean up, do baths, and get the kids dressed. Nathan has been taking a morning nap and then I do preschool with Charlie. We eat lunch around 11 then head outside for a while, then naps and hanging out until Jason gets home. Soon I will be cooking dinner at that time too. There are 2 missionary kids 6 and 4 next door that Charlie played with yesterday. Their mother, Johanna, is the one who handles the guests so I've spent some time talking to her. There is a housekeeper who comes Mon, Wed, Fri to sweep and do dishes. She may be one of the few Africans I interact with the while I'm here. I'm trying to do a little French studying so I can talk to her.
So far for me the struggles are much like home, but more lonesome. Just facing a day alone with the kids. I think I will be busy enough, but I already miss just talking with others. I am trying to make the most of this slower quieter time with my kids. I'm praying that I will learn how to play and enjoy my kids more instead of always focusing on the next task, which is so easy back home. I hope that I can be a friend even for a short time for 2 other moms here. Joanna has shared a bit of the isolation she has felt and the discouragement with trying to befriend the locals. God is slowly showing me what place I might have during this month and I am trying to stay open to whatever He has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment