Saturday, April 4, 2009

and on the seventh day...


Today was a simple day of rest. I went and played in the local pickup soccer match this morning-there's a field on the hospital grounds. The two resident surgeons, Phile (short for Philedelphi) & Jean Claude, were there, as were about 20 other young men and teenage boys from the hospital staff and surrounding village. I was able to meet several of them. My French was just good enough to learn some of their names. The Gabonese are passionate about "football," as is the rest of Africa (and the world for that matter). I was surprised that I was actually able to keep up with their game, but of course I was absolutely drenched with sweat by the end. I hope to return the next Saturdays we're here, hopefully with more French under my belt so I can build more relationships. Jamie and I spent the rest of the day just playing with the boys, taking a walk, and relaxing. The boys definitely needed some "dad time," which is just as true here as it is at home. I have actually gotten more time here with them than I do at home, which is nice. Please pray that God will help us use the energy we've gained today to spread His love among the people here the rest of this week.

1 comment: