Friday, May 4, 2012

Homeschool

Hi folks, I was going to write a general post on how things are going, but I wanted to do this 1st. Maybe I'll do 2 posts in one week :).

So anyway, if you've been following this blog you know that we homeschool. I usually say I homeschool, but I think we is more appropriate. I've been thinking a lot about homeschooling lately. I know I do it everyday I should be thinking about it alot. I mean really thinking though. Like ruminating, pondering, thinking through how and why we do it. My sister and I went to a homeschool convention recently (yes she visited, more on that in my next update), I have a friend who's trying to decide if she wants to try homeschooling, and Charlie's kindergarten year is nearing it's end. All of these things have made me do some pondering.
   I've been thinking about why we do it, what I love about it, and what I want to do better. First the why. There are the obvious reasons: Memphis city schools are not good, private school is too much, I want to shelter my kids from some things (we all do if we think about it long enough), and we plan to go overseas where we'll most likely have to homeschool. These are not the only or maybe even the most compelling reasons for me though. A big reason is I really think I can do a better job than the school. Maybe that's arrogant, but I think one on one, or even one on 4,  I can see how to best teach each of my individual children. I like being able to choose how to teach history, science, Bible, reading, and math. I love knowing exactly what my child knows and being able to reinforce that and build on it throughout the day. I love having the time to examine hail when it falls and find out more about that toad Nathan chased through the back yard. I love being able to weave spiritual things into everything we learn through the day.
      My next reason would be the time I get to spend with my kids. They do grow up so fast. It really won't be long before they leave home and while I've got them I really want to soak up this time. Now, don't get me wrong, it gets draining, I get frustrated, and there are days that I dream of being alone from 8-3 everyday. For the most part though, I love that we're together more than we're not. Along with that I want my kids to spend time with each other. I want desperately for my kids to be best friends. I know homeschooling doesn't garantee that, but I think spending time together and learning to think of your siblings as friends now can't hurt.
     Another reason would be the why I say we. This whole homeschooling thing really is a family endeavor. It's a lifestyle. Yes, I do most of the book work and direct teaching, but when Jason's home he joins in. When you homeschool you are very aware that you are your child's main source of education. This really makes you make all day a learining opportunity. I also love how the little ones get involved in "school" before they really start. My younger ones often sit at the table and listen when I read, they do science with us and just generally have a sense of what school is all about. I've recently added nature study, art, and music, and cooking lessons to our days. Those things have added a whole new level to learning being a lifestyle. I'm discovering that Charlie loves cooking and Nathan really has a passion for all things outdoors. Those things don't happen when we're sitting at the table, but when we play outside, make dinner and realax in the evening.
    In the end I do it because I love it. It's fun and it's the lifestyle I really want for our family. Just like the passover post, I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything, or tell you my way is better than yours, just giving a glimpse into my heart on the matter.
         Here's a couple of pictures from Charlie's homeschool class, we do get out some ;).



No comments:

Post a Comment