Tuesday, December 20, 2011

birth story-warning it's long!

For those of you interested I thought I would post the story of our recent addition's birth. For the 1st time we decided to be surprised about the sex of the baby. The baby was due on December 11th. Caitlin (my 3rd) was 5 days late so I wasn't surprised when Dec. 11 came and went with no baby born. On the Wed. after my due date I had an ultrasound to be sure everything was ok. The baby's estimated weight was 10lbs 7 ounces and they said I had excess fluid.  I was a bit surprised. I mean I knew I was big, but to have enough room for all that surprised me. The OB told me if I wanted to schedule a c-section based on the babies size I could. I knew the ultrasound could be up to a pound off so I thought I would just let things progress on their own.
On Friday I went back for another appt and everything looked good. The baby was head down and they said the fluid had decreased and the baby was head down. I had thought about being checked and having my membranes stripped, but decided I would just wait and see what happens. I was told to come back the next Wednesday.
   That night around 10pm I started having mild, but regular contractions. I texted the friend who was going to watch the kids because I thought things might happen that night. At 10:30 I layed down and thought maybe I would sleep. The contractions continued and were strong enough laying down was pointless. I got up and told Jason I thought tonight would be the night, but I would wake him up when things really got going. At around 11:30 I got in the tub so I could relax through contractions better. I was GBS + this time so I had decided I would go to the hospital as soon as I was sure I was in active labor. I stayed in the tub until 1:30 then decided things were moving along enough that I should head out. I still felt like the contractions were pretty manageable. I called my friend and woke up Jason. We left for the hospital at about 2am. We arrived at the hospital and the contractions were definately stronger, but still manageable. They took me to triage and checked me. They said I was about 9cm with a bulging bag of water. I went straight to a room and thankfully the doctor on call was already in the hospital. They got an IV in, started monitoring the baby then the dr checked me. She felt my stomach for position then told me she couldn't tell what the presenting part was. I told her the ultrasound that morning had been head down so I was sure the baby was head down. She asked for an ultraound machine to confirm. The ultrasound showed the baby was heads up! She also thought she saw the cord presenting. Surprise, surprise, this baby had flipped in the past 12 hours. So turns out my fastest, easiest labor ever is ending in a c-section. I was surprised, but really ok with it. I didn't want a c-section, but at least this was a case where it was absolutely needed. During surgery she said the baby was a double footling breech. That means her feet were in the birth canal. This is the most dangerous breech to delivery vaginally so yet another confirmation c-section was needed. She said there was a ton of fluid so the baby was basically swimming around. At 3:45 the baby was born and cried right away.  It was a girl at 10lbs 2 ounces. The ultrasound was pretty close! I was shocked I had enough room for such a big baby and all that fluid!
         After c-section I was sent to recovery and because Mariam (that's her name :) was so large they wanted to check blood sugars before they brought her to me. So, 4 hours later I finally got to hold my new baby. She nursed like a champ and has been doing great since. The next bump in the road came when the pediatrician came. She said she felt a hip click and wanted us to have an ultrasound and see an orthopedist. This could mean Mariam has hip dysplasia and would need to have her legs in a harness for 4-6 months. I was a bit stressed about that. Monday before we left they did an ultrasound. Today I got a phone call that the ultrasound was normal. What a relief! We are still going to the orthopedist Wed., but we expect it to be a pretty routine visit. So, now we feel like we can get on with figuring out how to do this whole baby thing again :).



     The whole labor really seemed to have God's protection. There were so many things that could have gone differently and ended badly. I'm so thankful to have our new little girl home and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment