Found one! (I can't figure out how to turn the pictures)
There has been a lot of feasting around our house lately. We started out with Passover on Monday. Jason had Tues off so we did got all the leaven out of the house that day. We did a leaven hunt. Jason hid all of our food with leaven around the house and the kids went around with flashlights looking for it all. They actually had a lot of fun :). That night we did a Seder with another couple and their kids. A bit crazy, but overall it went pretty well. For the rest of the week we ate only unleavened bread. Sunday was First Fruits, the same day as Easter this year. First Fruits is the Sunday after Passover so it is the day Jesus actually rose from the dead. What perfect timing this year. We celebrated with a big breakfast with fruit, juice, and other fun food. We started our countdown to Pentecost with a big chart counting the omer, complete with candy each day for the kiddos. After church we headed up north with to celebrate with my sister and some of her extended family. We did some more feasting and talked about Christ's role as our Passover lamb.
What a week! Abstaining from leaven has been the most meaningful for me. Every time I went to make a meal I was reminded of the leaven in my own life and how difficult it is to purge. I was reminded of the hardship God's people have endured through the centuries. I was reminded of the ultimate passover lamb who died so I don't have to. Now as we count the omer I will be looking toward Pentecost and all it means. I will be enjoying bread again and thinking about the gift of the Holy Spirit. That's what celebrating the feasts has done for me. It has given me appointed times to consider and ponder these things. It creates, at least for a time, a rhythm of life centered around God. It makes me consider how to teach these things to my children. It reminds me that I'm part of something bigger than myself and that I need to behave accordingly. I praise God for the feasts that are not a burden or a rule, but a joy and a privilege.
What a week! Abstaining from leaven has been the most meaningful for me. Every time I went to make a meal I was reminded of the leaven in my own life and how difficult it is to purge. I was reminded of the hardship God's people have endured through the centuries. I was reminded of the ultimate passover lamb who died so I don't have to. Now as we count the omer I will be looking toward Pentecost and all it means. I will be enjoying bread again and thinking about the gift of the Holy Spirit. That's what celebrating the feasts has done for me. It has given me appointed times to consider and ponder these things. It creates, at least for a time, a rhythm of life centered around God. It makes me consider how to teach these things to my children. It reminds me that I'm part of something bigger than myself and that I need to behave accordingly. I praise God for the feasts that are not a burden or a rule, but a joy and a privilege.
No comments:
Post a Comment